Wednesday 27 November 2013

How to Find Peace in Any Situation

I'm currently in the process of becoming certified, through the McLean Meditation Institute, as a meditation teacher. Meditation was never really something that I gave much thought to, until I began realizing that my thoughts and my mind really was running my life, and not always for the better. I've always thought of myself as a "thinker" which can be both a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that my brain has enabled me to fulfill a long and rewarding career in nursing and to achieve many goals that I've had over the years. The bad thing about my brain, is that it never shuts down and is often filled with thoughts that are less than peaceful, loving and positive.

When I heard about quick and easy activities that could actually settle my mind in any given moment, I was intrigued. If we're being honest with ourselves, Alzheimer's disease gives us lot's of opportunities to worry and feel less than peaceful. What will happen in the future? How will this disease progress? Am I doing all that I can/should? Will I be able to handle whatever comes my way? Does this person still know who I am? Why does this person act in such strange ways? And, countless other questions, that leave us feeling unsettled, anxious and depressed.

Imagine being able to return to, or experience a feeling of peace at any given moment. There are ways that we can do this, but like most things it requires a commitment to try and a willingness to practice. Next time you're feeling stressed or anxious why don't you give it a try.  The following are some practices that have worked for me:

1) The first place to start is always with the breath. Turn your attention to your breath and how it feels moving in and out of your nose. When you're attention is on the breath, it is not on the things that you were previously worrying about. Your breath is a life line and your connection to the here and now. You can do this with your eyes open or closed.

2) When you notice your mind is wondering, and worrying, try bringing your attention to what is going on around you. If you're somewhere where you can observe nature, that is particularly helpful. Notice the sky, or the way the wind feels on your face, or the sun on your body. Noticing nature, is a great way to come back to the  present moment. If you don't have access to nature, just paying attention to what you're actually doing will break the thought pattern. For example, if you're doing the dishes and you're worrying or stressing about something, bring your attention to the dishes. How does the water feel? What does the soap smell like? When I first practiced this, it felt strange, but it really does work and the more you practice the better you'll get and feel!!

3) I find using a short statement which I find calming is really helpful. It can be something like, "this too shall pass" or "I'm calm" or "I can handle this".  I used the mantra, "I'm okay" the whole way up the final trek of Mount Kilimanjaro. Without the mantra, my mind was traveling to all sorts of really scary places and scenarios!

4) If you have a few minutes, listen to one of the guided meditations provided in the Mind Candy section of this blog. It will give you an opportunity to replace some of the negative, destructive thoughts with more peaceful, calming thoughts. Our thoughts are either helping us experience a more peaceful life, or they're causing us stress and all the harm that goes along with being stressed out!

What things have you found helpful to bring your attention back to the present and find peace in difficult situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment