Thursday 5 September 2013

Alzheimer's Beyond the Cure

There was an article in the Calgary Herald this week, Dealing with dementia: Experts warn the disease will ravage societies as baby boomer age.  The article describes that there is a wave of Alzheimer's disease and dementia that is set to hit our society and that we're not prepared for it. Words like epidemic and catastrophe are used to describe what we can expect and the impact it will have on our society. Further, Alzheimer's is a terminal disease with no cure and a progressive nature which ultimately results in death. While these facts and reality are important in order to get Alzheimer's disease on the radar as a priority for governments and health care agencies, we must balance that focus with how we approach the disease now.

When we understand that Alzheimer's disease is a terminal illness, we can apply palliative approaches that focus on quality of life and peaceful living for the time that is remaining. While we have people diligently looking for a cure, we need to put more effort into creating and supporting normal lives and living for people with dementia. A daughter in the article describes how they have learned to live more in the moment and appreciate the little things. I believe this is critical and the biggest gift that Alzheimer's has to offer us. Alzheimer's reminds us continually that all we have is the moment. And the better we are at living in the moment the more peaceful we'll be with alzheimer's disease and our lives in general.

I thought it was ironic that I have a coffee mug that reminds me daily to "Love the Moment." As I started down the path of trying to live more in the moment and appreciate the little things, I noticed that I hadn't even noticed the "Love the Moment" reminder. How sad is that? I don't think I'm alone in being so caught up in my thoughts that I can have my life going by without even experiencing it.

The good news is that through practice we can get better at noticing the moments that make up our lives. The more we notice the more peaceful and joyful we'll be and I think we could all use a little more of that! When we begin to notice that we're not in the moment, we are in the moment. Let Alzheimer's disease and dementia remind us the power of living in the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment